5 Streets - San Francisco

Monday, September 05, 2005

Introduction

This really is inspired by my dear friend, Julia, who started 5 Streets in her neighborhood. 5 Streets, to me, is about exploring the immediate space, the five streets, surrounding my home, really the space that makes my home: My Home. It's about the hidden surprises in one's own neighborhood, the places that tour books never tell a person about, but the places that the locals will send tourists to before all of the others.

I was walking home this afternoon from my favorite produce shop (outside my 5 Streets, technically, but still my favorite shop), clutching my green fabric sack of beautiful pieces of fruit: raspberries, grapes, peaches, cantelope, avacado, tomatoes, peppers -- all ripe, all locally grown, all gorgeously in season, all seven minutes walk from my apartment.

It was such a simple moment, one I do several times a week, one that a passerby would not ever notice. But in this moment, on this sunny, breezy, San Francisco day, I realized how lucky I am to live where I live. To be in this spot. To be carrying a sack of fruit up Fillmore.

So I ask you to join me in exploring my 5 streets and perhaps to share your own. Uncover the secrets of your neighborhood, the ones that are just outside your front door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home